Cosmelan Peel is a deeper chemical peel, which is used to tackle severe, deep and stubborn pigmentation. It is the ideal treatment for Indian skin types.
Prior to the treatment:
- Stop the application of any products containing retinoic acid, glycolic acid, or skin bleaching or lightening agents, one week before the procedure
- Avoid waxing / bleaching / threading one week before and one month after the treatment
- Details about post-treatment care will be provided after the procedure is performed.
What is Cosmelan?
Cosmelan is a Depigmentation treatment based on the inhibition of tyrosinase, a basic enzyme in the melanin formation process. Several of the substances present in Cosmelan formula act by blocking this enzyme. Its principal action is the elimination of melanin patches on the face (melasma and chloasma).
What are the advantages of Cosmelan?
The Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment offers a series of major advantages and benefits compared with other types of depigmentation products found in the market:
- Very effective in all types of melasma
- Rapid and easy depigmentation action
- Compatible with all skin types (Fitzpatrick I– IV)
- Light peeling effect
- Treatment can be used all year round
- Beneficial for acne patients
- Does not contain TCA
- High safety margin
In 99% of the cases blemishes improves by 95%. One week after starting the Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment, a noticeable improvement of the skin is observed. The skin appears rejuvenated and luminous with reduction in the blemishes. Over the treatment course this difference becomes more evident.
How does the Cosmelan process work?
The process consist of two parts: First part is applied in the clinic. It involves cleansing of the skin and the application of a yellow mustard coloured mask (Cosmelan 1). You will go home with the mask on. The mask will be left on for a total of 4-8 hours depending on your skin type. After which the mask has to be removed by you with water and a neutral cleanser. you will then apply the mesoestetic Hydra-vital factor K cream (which we give you at the clinic).
Second stage is the home Maintenance: It consists of the daily application and continual use of the Cosmelan 2 cream. The cream is applied three times a day, the first week following the application of the mask, then twice a day for the second week, and once a day the third week forward.
What should I expect in my first day and second day after the Cosmelan mask?
- During the first two days of treatment, the skin may turn red and peel mildly.
- If the skin is very sensitive, the patient may experience itching.
- Slight burning and tightening of the skin is also absolutely normal, especially during the first 24 to 48 hours after starting the treatment.
- To relieve these problems, it is advisable to apply the mesoestetic Hydra-vital factor K whenever necessary.
After the third or fourth day, the skin appears healthy and luminous and the marks begin to fade.
Will my skin be red after the procedure?
The reddening that occurs on the face after applying the Cosmelan 1 treatment is slightly intense. You are allowed to step out after sunset but u may not want to because of the redness. This will last for the first 2-3 days after treatment.
Will the skin peel?
Peeling of the skin may occur between the second and third day. In this case it is advisable to apply the mesoestetic Hydra-vital factor K cream more often in the day.
Can I combine the Cosmelan Treatment with other treatments?
Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment should not be mixed with other depigmentation treatments, as the appearance of undesired effects cannot be guaranteed.
Do I need to discontinue my everyday activities in order to use Cosmelan?
No, Cosmelan is a very versatile product that can be incorporated into each individual life style. Though the first one week strict sun protection should be followed and thereafter sun exposure minimized especially between 11am – 3 pm.
Can I use Cosmelan during the summer?
Yes, Cosmelan can be used year round.
Can the blemishes return if I stop using Cosmelan?
In order to avoid blemishes from returning, it is necessary to be disciplined with the Cosmelan regimen. On the days you do not follow the Cosmelan protocol, you should at least use a sun block.