The excimer laser uses a specific wavelength of 308nm and thus os a modified advance form of light therapy useful in various dermatology diseases. Traditionally light therapies used to be given either in the form of tablets followed by sun exposure or full-body light chambers. These had their own disadvantages especially in patients who didn’t require therapy for full body. Excimer laser creates a concentrated beam of ultraviolet light and is delivered in the form of painless shots over areas where the effect is needed. This makes excimer very targetted therapy.
Indications of excimer
- Mild to moderate plaque psoriasis
- Palmoplantar psoriasis
- Palmoplantar hyperkeratosis
- Vitiligo/ leucoderma
- Scalp psoriasis
- Chronic lichenified eczema
- scars looking lighter or whiter than aurrounding normal skin
- Lightening of skin because of some trauma, burn or other cases.
Benefits of excimer laser therapy
- The most prominent benefit is targetted and fast responsive nature of treatment.
- It can be done in patients and conditions which are not suitable for the survey of vitiligo spots.
- Painless treatment
- Relief without affecting other body systems
None usually. Sometimes mild red/ pink hue is expected in the treated area for a few days because of increasing energy levels of excimer laser shots. Occasionally warmth sensation is reported by some patients. Usually, there is no pre-procedure preparation instruction for the starting of the excimer laser. Avoidance of excessive sun exposure on the treated area is advised. Based on the situation and patient to patient response usually, a good response can be enjoyed in 30 or lesser session of the excimer laser.